PTO Meeting Minutes – September 2015


September 17, 2015, 6:30 pm, Camas Ridge Community School Cafeteria

Announcements

  • Watermelon Feed Friday at 1:30pm. Volunteers needed to help prep food, bring cutting board and knife. Volunteers also needed for cleanup around 2.
  • 3rd grade girls are looking for more players for their soccer team. Contact Kidsports to sign up at  (541) 683-2374 or info@kidsports.org.

Enrollment Update

  • Class sizes are large this year. Let the School Board know this is not ok. Contact the School Board at 541-790-7700 or board@4j.lane.edu and share your story. Public comment is encouraged and can make a real difference.  Consider signing up to testify at a public meeting. Contact us at camasridgepto@gmail.com for help.
  • Up to date Smarter Balanced Assessment reports are expected next week. Tom will share results and information with families.
    • Discussion about providing more support and information for parents when tests are administered next year about opting out.
    • Action Item: Heather will follow up with Tom about how opt-outs will be handled.
  • The 2014-2015 School profile was shared (a snapshot of the school taken each October). It was noted that 44% of the community is economically disadvantaged.

Community Time (CT)

  • “I Am” Poem Tempate

    “I Am” Poem Tempate

    CT begins next week for 1-5 grade. It provides a time for mixed-age students to meet and work together to build a working community. The first project for the year will focus on identity and culture. The poem “I Am” was provided to families as a sample of one of the ways the kids will be talking about themselves. The poem will also be sent home to families to do together.

    • Action Item: Sandra Epple will translate it into Spanish for Spanish Speaking Families.
  • Discussion about introducing a Community Time Liaison to improve communication between CTs and the rest of the community time. The Community Time (CT) liaison would be the link between parents and the community time classes. Helps support group collections throughout the year (food drives, used book drives, winter coats drives, etc). Yearlong commitment. Time Commitment: 1-2 hours per month.
    • Action Item: Heather will move idea forward to Tom and staff.

Project & Volunteer Updates

  • Spanish Speaking Families Meetings: The program began last year as a way to bring our Spanish speaking community together.  The next meeting, which will include the superintendent as a special guest, will be held on October 20 directly prior to the next PTO meeting. Four meetings are planned this year. Contact Sandra at sepple@uoregon.edu  for details and to help out.
  • Friday Folders: Still looking for volunteer to help 30 minutes after drop-off in Fridays. Also looking for a coordinator to replace Anna, whose daughter graduates from Camas at the end of the year. Contact Anna at kenannalily@comcast.net for details and to help out.
  • Walk and Bike to School Day: Plans in place to celebrate in the morning of October 7 with healthy snacks and information tables promoting safe, convenient, and fun opportunities for children to bicycle and walk to and from schools. Contact Sarah at maisieland@gmail.com for details and to help out.
  • Volunteers: Geo provided an update on the volunteers list – only 27 people have completed a profile. Will have forms for people to complete at Curriculum night. Upcoming one time volunteer needs include people to help at the Watermelon Feed, the Welcome Back Picnic, Health Screenings, Picture Day, Jogathon. Most opportunities require about an hour of time and younger siblings are always welcome. We will use signupgenius as a way to manage our sign-ups electronically. Contact Geo at geohoester@gmail.com for details and to help out.
    • Concerns were raised about not enough communication about volunteer opportunities with families who do not use electronic communication. Ben Fahlgren will be the PTO newsletter editor this year and will make sure paper copies are distributed. Jennifer has a list of people who get Tom’s What’s Happening message via paper and can make sure they get the newsletter.
  • Library: Jennifer and Diana are working on getting the library schedule together. There is a new check-in system that is easier to use. Volunteers are needed (about 1 hours a week time commitment). Forms went home in the Friday folders last week, interested parents should return them to be added to the schedule. Contact Diana at dkwells62@comcast.net for details and to help out.
  • OBOB: The Oregon Battle of the Books team has doubled in size every year. More parent volunteers are needed. Also looking for a coordinator for next year. Contact Sawa at sawasaenger@yahoo.com for details and to help out.
  • Fundraising: Raised about $53,000last year and hope to raise as much again this year. We need donations for our live/silent auction, help with pledge drives, and volunteers for events throughout the year. Our next major fundraiser is the Jogathon pledge drive on October 8. Contact Jennifer at jlindseytdy@aol.com for details and to help out.